Welcome to Cookridge Primary School's Garden

Keep up to date with all that's going on in our school garden throughout the year!

Wednesday 1 August 2012

A little update......

Well, it's the second week of the summer holidays and I've been bobbing up this week on a regular basis, watering the tomatoes.  They are really the only things left after such a dreadful summer, though the potatoes are flowering.  However, until I dig them up, we won't know what state they're in.
A friend of mine made me feel better by informing that the BBC Gardener's World presenter, Monty Don has equally torrid times - carrots that have barely grown, plants rotting or scoffed by slugs and hardly anything to show for summer.  If it can go so wrong for a professional as well, then I don't feel so bad.
The tomatoes, though flourishing, have just about flowered and there are the odd green tomato here and there.  I don't think we'll have the bumper crop of last year. I will persevere for as long as it takes - we could be harvesting them just in time for Christmas at this rate!
Going up to the garden this week, has given me a chance to evaluate and start a bit of a tidy/re-organising before the start of the Autumn Term.  I've re-shuffled the working tables for the children, chucked out a few unwanted items and had a good sort out.  There's quite a few plants that need composting, the pots needs a good clean and the compost bins need a turn.  We have quite a few green bags that I want to sell as garden rubbish bags and we seem to have far too many flower pots, so in September, I might have a Sale in the playground to reduce our pot numbers.  Hopefully in 3 weeks time, work will start on the pond!  I visited Rodley Nature Reserve in Leeds today and admired their pond dipping area, as well as their meadows.  I just hope we can admire our pond dipping area and meadow over the next few weeks.  Fingers crossed.

I will blog over the summer holidays, but be warned.  It won't be very exciting - probably on the lines of "we've got one red tomato!!!!"   

No comments:

Post a Comment