Welcome to Cookridge Primary School's Garden

Keep up to date with all that's going on in our school garden throughout the year!

Thursday 2 May 2013

Happy Days

A beautiful sunny day (perhaps that Slovakian weather did follow me) and with five children with me, we tackled all those little jobs. We are now using our own compost for potting seedlings, so Libby and Josh dug some for us, while Katie and I filled the seed plugs.  Chuffed to bits about that. It was lovely working on the outside table in the sunshine with a gentle breeze - the greenhouse was a touch hot and rather unbearable, but Jack, Abigail and Freya weeded it, relaid the suppresant and put all our seedlings and tender plants in one area.  Thanks guys!

Our lady duck had been joined by Mr Duck and they sedately swim around despite Class 9 hanging over the fence, gawping at them.  They are very tolerant of us.

Class 9 appeared at 2pm and set about the weeding like pros.  We untangled the hose, set it up and watered the beds and managed to fill up the ex-sandpit with water.  It was a hive of activity and the kids worked really hard with all the different jobs up there. Great teamwork.

Last night, I got a call from one of our neighbours who had some tomato plants spare and wondered if we wanted them!  Of course, I had to have a think about it - for about half a nanosecond!  So we got six "Gardener's Delight" tomato plants.  Then this afternoon, Mrs Rivers, collecting her grandsons dropped by with spare lettuces and more tomatoes.  This is just wonderful and such a help with us struggling to plant things.

Next week, I will be running my after school garden club from 3.05 to 4.15.  I was running it during lunchtime, but it was very hit and miss with the time restraints. Hopefully it will be more successful after school.

I'm now hoping to start some Duck Tours soon that will entice the classes to come out and visit the garden more.  I'm sure they're convinced I'm lying in wait to sign them up for a raised bed and gardening slot!

No comments:

Post a Comment