Welcome to Cookridge Primary School's Garden

Keep up to date with all that's going on in our school garden throughout the year!

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Sunny days are here again!

Yes, I'm back after a fortnight of silence.

Mrs Colefax looked after the seedlings on the last three days while I was on the Comenius project in Birmingham (read the International blog for that) and I diligently checked them during the Whitsun break.  The weather was cloudy and overcast for most of the holiday, so I could leave the watering for a couple of days, but this last week, we have been basking in 18 - 20 degrees (and making the most of it). So I was up every day, watering.

I have finally purchased a watering system and now need to find time to set it up and make sure it works.  It will certainly save me time visiting the garden during the school holidays!

Yesterday was spent knee deep in paperwork, reading the instructions on the watering system and advertising the Cookridge Horticultural Show to the children hoping that they will enter a lot of the classes on offer. Our vegetable basket always seems to do well, and we have entered the handwriting and art classes before, but I want a big push on it this year.  Not that I'm competitive.............

 Today the children and I went up to the garden and did a massive weeding session - unfortuantely weeds grow even better than the plants.  The plants themselves are finally celebrating the arrival of summer and are starting to grow quite briskly, rather than keeping low and stunted.  We seem to have zillions of peas and beans, but I was delighted to spy the first growth spurts of carrots and cabbages.  The garden still look quite bare, but on closer inspection, the veggies are there and pushing their way through.

The after school garden club is back on this afternoon and I have several jobs lined up including potting up some of our beans and selling them tomorrow with another batch of rhubarb.  It's all go here!


No comments:

Post a Comment