Welcome to Cookridge Primary School's Garden

Keep up to date with all that's going on in our school garden throughout the year!

Thursday 13 June 2013

Thursday 13th June

No, I haven't been on any trips this last week, but have been incredibly busy with other jobs as well as the garden, that I haven't had chance to blog. I hold my head in shame.

Well, its been a long week of battling the weeds, keeping the greenhouse plants watered and making sure that garden ticks over.  I feel rather guilty as I have been quietly praying for rain (us Brits are never happy with our weather - moan when it's cold and wet, and then when it's hot and sunny, we demand rain!)

I just want an nice overnight downpour to water the beds, then a nice 70 degrees worth of sunshine to encourage our plants to grow.  That would suit me down to the ground.

I had a "bang head against a wall" moment during the week.  Finally I purchased an basic irrigation system for the greenhouse tomato plants, and eventually plucked up the courage to open it and try and set it up. Faced with 71 pieces of colourful plastic bits and metres of tubing, a A4 piece of paper with instructions written in several languages and diagrams so microscopic that the most powerful microscope can't cope, I was doing quite well, when I read at the bottom of this sheet, that I needed a special component to attach the tubing to the hose and it's NOT INCLUDED!!!! Aaargh!
So the whole project had slithered to a halt while I wait for this part. I am not happy.

Today I took five children up who were just exceptionally keen and were running around, asking what was this plant and what was this called?  They were fascinated by the pond and eager to see our ducks, who unfortunately, found our little patch of water not so desirable and have disappeared.  Personally I blame Class 9 for scaring them off three weeks ago.  Anyway we ended up pond dipping for half an hour and discovered water boatmen, waterlouse and snails.  The kids loved it.  The pond has life, not the best, but its a start.  We had a lovely discussion about wildlife, meadows and global warming!! Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment