Welcome to Cookridge Primary School's Garden

Keep up to date with all that's going on in our school garden throughout the year!

Thursday 18 April 2013

A touch windy

I spent a restless night last night worrying.

During the evening, the high winds of the day got stronger and stronger.  I went to bed with it whistling around my house and I had visions of the polytunnel already minus a couple of its double doors, losing the remaining doors.  Then I worried about the contents of the polytunnel flying out into the garden and me spending most of the following afternoon chasing it all around the garden. Then I dreamt about the polytunnel being shredded in the wind and it being a bit of a bombsite.
So as I came to work, I peered cautiously into the garden as I passed and sighed with relief to see the doors still attached and nothing scuttling across the beds like tumbleweed.

This afternoon,  Mr Gamble and Class 9 wanted to come up for their "Dig for Victory" project and take a bed over. I was very happy at that news.  I've been surveying several beds full of weeds and feeling a bit out of control - how was I and 8 children ever going to weed and get plants in with us so far behind in the season.
So I went up to the garden before they arrived and had a closer look at any damage.  The only casualties seem to be our scarecrows from last year.  Our jockey and his horse keep falling over as if they're in the Grand National and our other two, who sit rather than stand, keep getting blown across the garden.  After copious amounts of string, I tied them to the spot and hopefully won't move.

The wind is still pretty strong and keeps whipping the plastic on the polytunnel, making a horrendous noise. Class 9 arrived and set about several beds with forks and spades, making a huge difference with the weeds. They then dug over a bed and planted carrots, cabbages, pumpkins, broccoli and mint.  We had to hang onto shed doors and gates with the wind, but they had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  They are planning to make a regular trip every week, which would be great. I can't get all the children up there with my groups, so when class teachers join us, its a huge bonus as children who might of missed out, get the chance to garden. Also it helps me with all the chores of the garden. Thank you, Class 9, you're hired!

It's been lovely this week, back out in the garden and getting reacquainted with it again. With the harsh winter, it has done very well and I haven't had any major jobs to do, apart from tidying, finding stuff again and put bits and pieces in order.  Apart from the wind, its quite very pleasant and reasonably warm, which makes a change.  Lets hope we get a summer in Britain this year!

And I'm going to have a good night's sleep tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment