Welcome to Cookridge Primary School's Garden

Keep up to date with all that's going on in our school garden throughout the year!

Thursday 18 April 2013

Wednesday

Took a couple of children up to the garden as I have a bit of logistical problem.  A lot of the Keystage 2 children do PE in the afternoon and I often turn up to find a classroom empty!  So I managed to grab a couple and we went up to do some sowing (at long last!).
It's been quite windy and the doors of the greenhouse keep dropping from their hinges.  Today, I had one door from each end, completely hanging off.  I had to take them off and lay them on the floor of the polytunnel - there's no way I can get them back on my own and I think we need do some serious nailing.  So the polytunnel is a little open to the elements.  If there's anyone out there who can rejoin doors back to a polytunnel frame, I would love to hear from you.
So we sowed some pumpkins seeds and used compost from our compost bins for the first time!  It's looks lovely soil, full of worms.  I had been meaning to check it out for ages and now we've used all the shop bought compost, it was good a time as any!  Really pleased with it.
Later, I sat down and re-organised my rotas and asked teachers to hang onto kids for gardening, so I get my full teams. 

Next week I'm off to Slovakia on a school trip (that's why this blog will go quiet again next week).  The project is based on recycling and the environment so our garden has come into its own.  I took photos of all the recycling we've got from the children's handmade bird feeders, an old sandpit from reception which is now a water butt, our old class tables and our compost.  I've put it all in a little folder and will proudly show our hosts our lovely garden and all the work we do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment