Welcome to Cookridge Primary School's Garden

Keep up to date with all that's going on in our school garden throughout the year!

Friday 19 April 2013

Friday

Had a really lovely day in the garden today.

This morning, Class 4 came up for a Bug Hunt and I ended up in the pond area with a small group of children to pond dip. With two trays, we dipped and had a good look at what's in our pond. My pond ID sheet wasn't particularly great, but the children idenitfied several water louse, a shrimp like creature and thousands of miniscule larvae scooting around. They were fascinated.

This afternoon, Class 5 repeated the exercise and with groups of 6 children taking turns to study the trays, it proved to be an interesting half hour.  This time we managed to find a Ramshead snail too!

The pond is getting there - at least there's life in it. Perhaps not the best quality water at the moment, but I dream of damsel, dragon and mayflies and the ultimate - newts!

It was great to have classes there and dropping heavy hints about planting and taking a bed on! I was swallowing hard at the beginning of the week with the task of overseeing the garden without my gardening friend, Kathryn, but I am so pleased with what's happened this week!  Roll on summer!

Now after all this frantic blogging, I will go quiet next week as I'm off to Slovakia on Wednesday! (Read all about our adventures on the International Blog when we get back). Full service will be resumed on Tuesday 30th April!

No comments:

Post a Comment